Monday, March 27, 2006

A letter from the Australian Government

For those non-Sydney people out there I have been getting rather annoyed with the pathetic student union movement at USYD. My main issue is the ridiculous fees that you have to pay to enrol every year, $450 in my first then $350 in my second and third. While VSU (voluntary student unionism) will be coming in next year I decided to try my luck and vent some anger by writing to the Minister of Education regarding the legality of compulsory student unionism. My main argument was that as stated in the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (which Australia is a signatory) compelling people to belong to associations is illegal. Therefore compulsory student unionism is in direct violation of an UN covenant.
Well today I got a letter back from the Minister of Education (well not quite, it was from one of his staff) basically saying it is a State government problem, so I need to take up the issue with them. What I did discover is however, is the University allows you to transfer your union fees to the Jean D Foley Bursary Fund if you object to paying your union fees to the Union. I am not exactly sure what the "Bursary Fund" is but I assume it helps pay for our Chancellors drinking habits.

1 comment:

suznev said...

actually I think this bursary fund paid my rent one year, and all it took was for me to complain about not having enough money! they told me that when I have a job I can voluntarily pay it back, good luck to them!