Sunday, May 04, 2008

The US of A - New Orleans

Well after a 13 hr flight from Sydney to LA (6 movies and no sleep) I arrived in the chaos that is LAX. After a refreshing 6 hr stop over we were looking forward to boarding the plane, unfortunately someone forgot to tell us that paying for a ticket doesn’t mean you get one. Apparently the flight was over booked and they had decided that those who just spent half a day getting to LAX could wait another half a day. Thankfully some people decided to take a later flight and we managed to get on. It is not surprising that half the airlines in the US are going bust when they treat people like shit. Anyway, 4 hrs later we arrived in New Orleans and much to my surprise it resembled a normal looking city. After a quick trip to the golden arches in the city centre I realised that the place reminded me of Dunedin during O-week, but with more sleaze and booze and a little bit more sleaze.
The conference had a pretty busy schedule of talks and I could only manage to take one morning off to see the sights. I decided to go and check out the swamps and saw a good collection of critters.



In the end the conference was pretty good and the 5 people who decided to stay for my talk on the last day seemed to like the work. I may have even managed to score a post-doc position in Canada, but there are a few details to iron out

2 comments:

DrG said...

wow - the swamp tour looks great! Sounds like the conference was a bit dull - I was in New Orleans for a conference recently too - what a coincidence...?

Jarrod said...

I went to Melbourne for a conference, last week. It was average although I did catch up with Suz, Marty and my family which was nice.